November 22, 2014

Smiles Sent Saturday~Thanksgiving Care Package~November 22, 2014

My cousin is currently serving in the armed forces, so I sent him a care package for Thanksgiving (which is not only my favorite holiday, but also the one I find hardest to not be with family).  I had been seeing about decorating the inside of the box, so decided to give it a try.  I got some colored paper , old magazines, ads, and catalogs to try to line it with.  I just picked the pictures I liked the look of, and cut them down to the size to fit/show well. I used glue sticks (although I think I may try something else next time, but it did okay)  to attach them.  The top edges I used washi tape to edge the tops to secure it, but it also gave a nice finishing touch.  Then, as they didn't reach the bottom on all sides I lined the bottom with yellow printer pages held in place with packing tape.  It looked better, and was easier to do than I expected!

I filed it with a container of pumpkin cookies from a recipe I found among some of my great-grandmother's recipes that he'd liked before.  A copy of a card game I'd gotten and liked earlier this year.  Then went to the store and tried to find items that mirrored a Thanksgiving dinner:

To topped it off with a card I made from an image I found at 521 Lake Street of a sailor home for Thanksgiving that I thought was just too cool

If you'd like toe see the Thanksgiving box I sent a couple years ago, my mom blogged about it with photos here:  Shoe Boxes for Sailors: Thanksgiving Dinner in a Shoe Box

The name “Smiles Sent Saturday” denotes my hope these things I mailed cause the people who receive them to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts-comments will appear after moderation!