February 1, 2011

The Nester Hack experiment

One of the first, if not the first, decorating blogs I read the Nesting Place written by the Nester. I really enjoy reading her blog and it has encouraged me to work towards decorating my own house more (if you haven't visited her site yet, I encourage you to do so). Last month she had a post about decorating your house for the winter with a photo of paper-whites in a pot very similar to this one I inherited, from Grandma R:
I was inspired to see if I could grow some bulbs in it. I know that it is a little late to try to force bulbs, so I decided to see if I could dig some up (that had already been


chilled naturally) and see what happened. I have some bulbs to risk since the old farm we live on has a number of double daffodils growing wild. When I went out to dig up some bulbs from an area where we have planted some from the fields until we can officially "plant" them, I discovered they were already coming up so I decided to get the container ready first.

So, I the base of the pot filled with stones and dug up the bulbs:
I then discovered that the bulbs had too deep of roots to fit in the pottery piece I had picked, so I dug around in the barn and found a pot and a cute tin pail we had received flowers in once and improvised.
I don't think it will bloom as some others I have seen are already budded well before they were this tall, but I think they bring the feel of spring into the house even without blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts-comments will appear after moderation!